For over half a century, the Scottish Gathering and Highland Games has been the opportunity to pay homage to the first large group of settlers in Central Texas by conjuring up a wee bit of Scotland in downtown Salado.
In a battle of brawn, find out who will be the king of the clans in a tug-o-war, and cheer on the kilt-clad contestants aiming to win first prize in the weight toss and weight throw, tossing the sheaf the hammer throw, the stone toss and tossing the caber events.
Let the rhythmic beat of bodrans stir your soul during Celtic concerts that keep toes tapping and spirits soaring with uplifting melodies, and many more.
- North Pace Park Road will be teeming with tartan as the Pipes and Drums and Scottish Clans promenade in a parade of pied pipers which leads to the Games entrance.
- Retrace your roots at a genealogy workshop held at the Central Texas Area Museum and learn about your Clan family history at more than 50 Clan tents.
- Rally around to watch reels and jigs such as the Highland Fling and the saber dance performed by a troupe’s flying feet.
- Enjoy a true taste of Scotland with a heaping helping of haggis.
- Shop for a souvenir of your stay in Salado at the Wee Scots Shop.
- In the evening, a Texas Tattoo says farewell to the setting sun on College Hill.
- Dance and be merry at a Ceilidh, celebrated Texas-style in the Longhorn Room.
When: November 7-9, 2014
For more information:
Photo Credit: ClipArt