Say so long to summer at an event that will bring tears to your eyes as much for its generous spirit as for its tongue-scorching samples.
Benefiting the Capital Area Food Bank of Texas, the Austin Chronicle Hot Sauce Festival– a favorite among more than 15,000 foodies– has spiced up August for Austinites since 1990. A donation of three healthy, nonperishable food items or a cash donation to the cause will help to equal the close to 19,000 lbs. of food and more than $17,000 raised at the fiery fete in 2011.
On the menu at the festival:
- A heated competition in three categories: individuals with homemade hot sauce, restaurants and commercial bottlers.
- A drawing for the Sizzling Summer Raffle prize packages, valued at more than $500 each.
- A cooking demonstration by Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts chefs of recipes peppered with green, red or specialty sauce.
- Sample searing sauces or concoct a taste bud-blistering creation of your own at the giant tasting tent.
- Buy Tabasco-motifed merchandise at vendor booths.
- The music of Shinyribs, Mike & The Moonpies, Sauce Gonzalez & The Westside Horns, Crooks and Residual Kid will add flavor to the festivities.
When: August 26, 2012
Where: Fiesta Gardens at 2100 Jesse E. Segovia Street in Austin
For more information: