Austin Chronicle Hot Sauce Festival, August 26, 2012
Say so long to summer at an event that will bring tears to your eyes as much for its generous spirit as for its tongue-scorching samples.
Benefiting the Capital Area Food Bank of Texas, the Austin Chronicle Hot Sauce Festival– a favorite among more than 15,000 foodies– has spiced up August for Austinites since 1990. A donation of three healthy, nonperishable food items or a cash donation to the cause will help to equal the close to 19,000 lbs. of food and more than $17,000 raised at the fiery fete in 2011.
On the menu at the festival:
- A heated competition in three categories: individuals with homemade hot sauce, restaurants and commercial bottlers.
- A drawing for the Sizzling Summer Raffle prize packages, valued at more than $500 each.
- A cooking demonstration by Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts chefs of recipes peppered with green, red or specialty sauce.
- Sample searing sauces or concoct a taste bud-blistering creation of your own at the giant tasting tent.
- Buy Tabasco-motifed merchandise at vendor booths.
- The music of Shinyribs, Mike & The Moonpies, Sauce Gonzalez & The Westside Horns, Crooks and Residual Kid will add flavor to the festivities.
When: August 26, 2012
Where: Fiesta Gardens at 2100 Jesse E. Segovia Street in Austin
For more information: