Cotton Festival, Miles, TX, September 8, 2012
Known as ‘a small town with a big heart,’ the Runnels County community of Miles invites visitors to have a ‘boll’ at the 35th annual ode to the cotton crop.
- Dine with the denizens of Miles at a pancake breakfast served at the Miles Masonic Lodge and the noon meal at Miles Opera House.
- Raise your glass to the winner of the Drink Mix-Off, and spice up your stay at the festival by checking out the Salsa Contest. The competitions continue to heat up with the Best Decorated Cooler contest, and spectators can discover who has found the perfect ingredients for success in the brisket/chicken/ribs and beans categories of the Cook-Off. Attendees can take part in a showdown of the sentimental festival favorite Washer and Horseshoe Pitching contests or the cotton stalk contest, and much more.
- Pound your feet on the street for a good cause during the Turn the Paige Foundation 5K Run.
- Enjoy a toe-tapping good time before this year’s bash as Haden Burchard takes the stage in the Friday night concert, followed the next day with a concert and street dance featuring performances by Jason Boland and the Stragglers, Casey Donahew Band, Six Market Boulevard and Gary P. Nunn.
- Little ones can enjoy inflatable fun and play games at the Kid’s Fair.
- A morning parade will be a showcase of small town pride.
- Take a tour of Miles’s historic museum.
- The spirits of festival-goers will be in high cotton as they get a bird’s eye look of the grounds on a helicopter ride.
- Search for a reminder of your stay in Miles by mulling over the merchandise on display at the arts and crafts booths.
When: September 8, 2012
Where: Various locales in downtown Miles, including Weatherby Hall, the Opera House, and City Park
For more information:
Photo Credit: ClipArt